City Attorneys

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

City Council Meeting Agenda Items

• 1.  City Council Meeting Agenda Items

Posted 03-11-2024 11:23

All:

I am City Attorney for Atkinson. The City Council's regularly scheduled meeting is this evening. One of the agenda items is a citizen who would like to address the Council regarding one of the Council's members. This gentleman is a neighbor of the Council member and claims to have been accosted by the Council member for pushing snow from his driveway onto the Council member's yard after a storm last month.

The Council member has attempted to apologize but his calls have been ignored. He has expressed that he does not think this should be on the agenda because he did not identify himself as a Council member and it was strictly a dispute between private citizens.

My City Clerk has asked for guidance as to how to handle the situation, as she does not believe she has the authority to tell someone they are not permitted to be on the agenda.

In reviewing our City Code I do not see anything which would prohibit this gentleman from addressing the council and I think it would be a bad look to try to keep him from doing so. My guess is he is going to express disappointment that a council member would conduct himself in that way, even if not acting in his official capacity. I expect my advice to the Mayor and Council will be to let him speak his piece and move on to the next agenda item. But if anyone has other thoughts on how to handle, I would welcome the insight.

Best regards,

Michael Sholes

• 2.  RE: City Council Meeting Agenda Items

Posted 03-11-2024 11:43
    We would not allow this on the agenda. It is not City business, even then not every idea of a council member or citizen is placed on the agenda. Now the citizen can always bring up his issues during public forum. 

Tobias J. Tempelmeyer

City Administrator / General Manager

City of Beatrice / Beatrice Board of Public Works

400 Ella Street

Beatrice, NE 68310

Office - (402) 228-5200

Fax - (402) 228-2312

www.beatrice.ne.gov

ATTENTION ELECTED OFFICIALS: A "Reply to All" on this e-mail could lead to violations of the Nebraska Open Meetings Act. Please reply only to the sender.

CONFIDENTIAL NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic mail transmission (including any accompanying attachments) is intended solely for its authorized recipient(s), and may be confidential and/or legally privileged. If you are not an intended recipient, or responsible for delivering some or all of this transmission to an intended recipient, you have received this transmission in error and are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from reading, copying, printing, distributing or disclosing any of the information contained in it. If you have received this in error, please reply immediately to the sender and delete the original and all copies of this transmission (including attachments) without reading or saving in any manner. Thank you.

• 3.  RE: City Council Meeting Agenda Items

Posted 03-11-2024 11:46

I would agree with Tobias... I advise my municipal clients that the agenda is for the Board/Council to set.  The Clerk (on behalf of the Chair) can most certainly decide what makes it on the agenda or not.

It is a public forum, which I believe allows that individual to be present, but I disagree that you are under any obligation to place their item on the agenda.

Sincerely,

Drew A. Graham

Associate Attorney

Phone 402.694.5504 | Fax 402.362.5507

Email dgraham@svehlalaw.net | Web www.svehlalawoffices.com

Aurora 1223 M Street, Aurora, Nebraska 68818

York 408 N Platte Avenue, Suite A, York, Nebraska 68467

NOTICE:  The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above.  This message may be an attorney-client communication and as such is privileged and confidential.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, this serves as notice to you that you have received this document in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please delete the original and notify me immediately via e-mail at dgraham@svhelalaw.net or by telephone at (402) 362-5506.  Thank you.

• 4.  RE: City Council Meeting Agenda Items

Posted 03-11-2024 11:48

I agree with Tobias.  Public comment is the place for the public to express opinions about things not on the agenda.  However, there is no obligation to put something specifically on the agenda that a citizen requests, unless it is a formal application for a permit or something like that of course.

- David

David C. Levy
    Baird Holm LLP
    1700 Farnam Street
    Suite 1500
    Omaha, NE 68102-2068
    www.bairdholm.com
    402.636.8310 Direct Dial Phone
    402.213.9063 Cell Phone
    402.344.0588 Fax

dlevy@bairdholm.com

Admitted to practice in California, Iowa, Kansas and Nebraska

This communication, along with any attachments, is covered by federal and state law governing electronic communications and may contain confidential and legally privileged information. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, use or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this in error, please reply immediately to the sender and delete this message. Thank you.

• 5.  RE: City Council Meeting Agenda Items

Posted 03-11-2024 11:51

Why not have the council vote to move it off the agenda at the time of approving the agenda? It's their agenda. If you feel it necessary to keep on, just let him say his peace, say nothing and move on.

Patrick J. Sullivan

Adams & Sullivan, P.C., L.L.O.

1246 Golden Gate Drive, Suite 1

Papillion, NE 68046-2843

(402) 339-9550 

Areas of Practice: Business Transactions and Litigation • Estate Planning, Trust Administration & Probate • Real Estate Development and Transactions • Municipal and School Law • Labor and Employment Law • Divorce •  Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury • Insurance Litigation • Guardianships and Conservatorships 

The information contained in and transmitted with this electronic mail constitutes confidential information, should be considered subject to the attorney-client privilege or the attorney work product doctrine, and is intended to be transmitted and communicated only to the individual and/or entity named in the above addresses). If the reader of this communication is not the intended recipient, or is not the authorized employee or agent responsible to receive this communication for and deliver this communication to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or duplication of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify us by telephone and delete the electronic mail from your computer system as soon as possible. Thank you.

• 6.  RE: City Council Meeting Agenda Items

Posted 03-11-2024 11:45

I think the citizen has the right to be on the Agenda, I anticipate under public forum or wherever on the Agenda the item has been placed.  Whatever you have in place for the time limit for addressing the Council should apply.  One of those uncomfortable matters, but within the rights of the citizen.

Michael J. McQuillan, JD, LL.M.

McQuillan & Wendell, P.C., L.L.O.

201 East 2nd Street, Suite B

PO Box 478

Ogallala, NE  69153

(308)284-4058

(308)284-6420 (fax)

mjmcquillan@mcquillanlaw.com

Admitted in Nebraska, Colorado and Arizona

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This message and any attachments are from an attorney.  They are solely for the use of the intended recipient and may contain privileged, confidential or other legally protected information.  If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy all copies without reading or disclosing their contents and notify the sender of the error by reply  e-mail.

• 7.  RE: City Council Meeting Agenda Items

Posted 03-11-2024 12:27

I agree with Tobias in general.  This might be considered a civil matter.  That being said, if the has a city ordinance identifying this as a misdemeanor and the police refuse to issue a ticket, then in my opinion it would be city business base on the refusal to act.  Better to handle such a situation at council then have the officer defend a mandamus action (regardless of whether this might be considered a ministerial act).  Keep in mind, neither the city, nor its insurance carrier defend the officer in a mandamus action.  This might be taking it a bit far, but the neighbor is willing to come to council with a simple matter for which the council member is attempting to apologize.  He wants the fight instead of being an adult and accepting the apology.   I don't know about you all, but I have run into some crazies over the last 26 years - anything is possible.

Roger K. Johnson

• 8.  RE: City Council Meeting Agenda Items

Posted 03-11-2024 13:09
    I agree with Tobias. For McCook, we have a form that people can fill out to request to be put on the agenda. City staff reviews that request and determines whether it can be handled "in house" - meaning city staff can directly address the concern. Only if City staff determines that it needs council action, does it make the agenda. There is no right to be on an agenda. It is a meeting for the people, not of the people. 

I don't think what you describe is an agenda item. It is airing a personal grievance. There are other avenues to handle personal grievances: civil court, complaint to attorney general, etc. 

Nathaniel J. Mustion, Esq.
    Mousel, Brooks, Schneider, Mustion & Shifflet, PC, LLO
    101 W. C St.
    McCook, NE 69001
    (308) 345-1600 (office)
    (308) 345-1602 (facsimile)
    njmustion@mbgslaw.com

CONFIDENTIAL ATTORNEY-CLIENT PRIVILEGED E-MAIL COMMUNICATION

The information contained in this message is intended solely for the addressee(s) named above. If you are not an addressee, or responsible for delivering this message to an addressee, you have received this message in error and you are strictly prohibited from reading or disclosing it. The information contained in this message is subject to legally enforceable privileges. Unless you are an addressee, or associated with an addressee for delivery purposes, you will violate these privileges if you do anything with this document or the information it contains other than reply by e-mail immediately at his/her address noted above and delete the message at once.

• 9.  RE: City Council Meeting Agenda Items

Posted 03-11-2024 13:12

David City uses the same kind of form and process as McCook.  It seems to work well.

- David

David C. Levy
    Baird Holm LLP
    1700 Farnam Street
    Suite 1500
    Omaha, NE 68102-2068
    www.bairdholm.com
    402.636.8310 Direct Dial Phone
    402.213.9063 Cell Phone
    402.344.0588 Fax

dlevy@bairdholm.com

Admitted to practice in California, Iowa, Kansas and Nebraska

This communication, along with any attachments, is covered by federal and state law governing electronic communications and may contain confidential and legally privileged information. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, use or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this in error, please reply immediately to the sender and delete this message. Thank you.

• 10.  RE: City Council Meeting Agenda Items

Posted 03-11-2024 13:24

I received quite a few responses, so if I did not get back to you personally, thank you to all who took the time to respond.

Best regards,

Michael

• 11.  RE: City Council Meeting Agenda Items

Posted 03-11-2024 15:38
    If I'm following you correctly, you said the meeting is tonight and this individual is already on the agenda.  Take a look at the Open Meetings Act - I'm pretty sure there is a provision that says the agenda cannot be altered within 24 hours of the meeting, except for emergency issues.  Granted, I think the purpose is to prevent cities from circumventing the public notice requirements by sneaking things on to the agenda at the last minute; but I think it would also work to prevent you from removing an item.  Pat had a good suggestion that you could have the council vote to remove it when they are voting on approving the agenda, but that means the Council still has to reference it in some manner.    

Also, I agree with the sentiments a few others have expressed; it is going to be really uncomfortable to have this council member called out publicly, but your Council should really think hard about how much more uncomfortable its going to be if this citizen and others start talking about how the Council just brushed this assault under the rug, and the police department is in cohoots with them, etc. (you know that is how they will spin it and that the story that comes out will be 10x worse than what really happened).  My advice to my council would be move it to public comment section; hold the individual to our time limit; and have the council member prepared to make a very succinct acknowledgement/apology and/or your council president (assuming not the same council member) make a generic statement that the only authority that the Council as a body has to discipline members is for malfeasance, misfeasance or misconduct in office (substitute whatever language your code uses); and that because this was a private matter between two private citizens, it is not an issue for the city council to address.    

Carla Heathershaw Risko

City of Papillion | Assistant City Attorney

122 East Third Street, Papillion, NE  68046

www.Papillion.org

O:  402.829.0500 | F:  402.339.0670

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  The information contained in this e-mail is CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION intended ONLY for the use of the individual or entity named herein.  If you are not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify us by telephone (402-827-1111) and permanently delete the original message.  Thank you for your cooperation.

• 12.  RE: City Council Meeting Agenda Items

Posted 03-11-2024 15:46
    I agree with Carla below - you are stuck with this on the agenda for tonight. I would not recommend that Councilmember in question make any statement - what they say can and will be used against them. Having the chair make the statement about what they can discipline for would be the way to go once the citizen has made their statement.

Basically, let the citizen have their say, endure the discomfort and then move on. There is no action that the Council can take against the member, so engaging in a debate about the conduct would be an exercise in futility.

Stacy R. Nonhof

Assistant City Attorney

[cid:492fee1b-39b9-4585-8a25-922606293967]<https: outlook.office.com/bookwithme/user/325dab41c78e4d27a87e9f70d6d4c75d@grand-island.com?anonymous&ep="signature"> Book time to meet with me<https: outlook.office.com/bookwithme/user/325dab41c78e4d27a87e9f70d6d4c75d@grand-island.com?anonymous&ep="signature">